Friday, February 17, 2012

My Stache

It's been a little while since I've remembered that I had a blog I was trying to write in religiously. But I've been hired and so I knew my free time would shrink immensely.

So let me tell you about my craft from last weekend. I almost bought a pig piggy bank for all my loose change (which, let's be serious, isn't all that much really). But then I was inspired by a mason jar - as I so frequently am (you can do ANYTHING with a mason jar, and they just have so much rustic/country charm!!) - that I came across on etsy.com.




Now, I am not a hipster. Really, no where near it. But my boyfriend happens to be fond of mustaches, and men with great mustaches. I think they are funny, and since I love all things 1895, this style of mustache speaks to me, as well. So I thought, "Well now, I could make this for far less than 16 dollars + Shipping." 

Since I work in an art dept for a television show, I have all sorts of craft tools and goods available to me. I found a fun 'stache design online and a font I liked and created my own stencil using Adobe InDesign (Though this could easily be done on word or probably even paint - for you few PC users still out there in the world). I grabbed my handy dandy xacto knife and a cutting mat and carved out my stencil. Over the weekend I found a jar at a goodwill for just a little over a dollar - Score! I planned to use a fun acrylic paint that I already have in my art supply stache (get it? Hope so, thats the whole point of this jar) - which lives in a cluttered mess in a small closet in my small apt (MAN I want a craft room!). 

But then, something magical happened. I found a sticker store! They have so many great sticker finds. Stuff from my childhood that I haven't seen in years, and 3D stickers, and travel stickers for scrapbooking, and alphabet stickers in tons of fonts. I mean, this was sticker heaven. And right in the center of it all, were fuzzy mustache stickers, with real fake hair. My entire direction for my jar changed. Right then and there, I bought those fuzzy sticker mustachios and also a fun puffy bright orange alphabet collection and got to work on my jar. 

Because of the smooth glass surface and the stiff hair follicles of the mustache sticker, I added some extra super glue to it's sticky back, but the letters have held up just fine, and were far too thin to cleanly apply extra glue. If they start to peel off then I may want to add a sealer or some extra adhesive, but I didn't want to jump the gun if it wasn't going to be necessary and jeopardize the clear glass with sticky frosting.

Here she is:


Maybe the original jar is better being more understated letting the play on words alone be funny, and maybe my orange letters and real faux mustache is obnoxious, but I think its funny, and I wanted it to stick out a little bit! And had I painted it, I would have used a maroon red or a teal blue just to give it some color, anyhow. Do what you wish with your crafts, thats the fun part! 

Counting pennies,

DML



No comments:

Post a Comment