Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Vintage Coasters

Over this long weekend, I decided to give myself a small craft. My boyfriend and I have moved in together recently, so I like to also try to incorporate his interests in anything home related. Luckily, we have similar tastes in style.

I had glass drink coasters that I have had for years (since college) that had different terms for being drunk written on them, along with their respective definitions. They were fun,... for a minute. I decided to give them a face lift and cover them with some interesting paper. I am a big fan of Tim Holtz (www.timholtz.com) and his mixed media art products. He has great books of scrap booking and mixed media paper. I purchased one of his booklets and chose a few different prints that were of vintage tickets and bottle caps and pictures, etc.




Super easy project:

*All you need is a sponge brush, mod podge, paper, old coasters or tiles, and a can of sealer.
**If you are using tiles that you buy at a Home Depot or such (which you can get for .11!) you may want to buy felt  to super glue to the bottom of each tile, so that you don't scratch your tables.

-Make sure coaster or tile is clean.

-Cut your paper square about 1/4 inch smaller than the tile you chose for your coaster. The most popular size is 4"x4", and I try to cut my paper as close to 3 3/4" x 3 3/4" as I could.

-Using the sponge brush, paint mod podge onto surface of coaster/tile and place paper on top. Press and squeegee the paper, so that there are no air bubbles, as you want the surface to be as flat as possible when putting a drinking glass on it.

-Paint over the paper and tile using mod podge. You will want to do 3 or 4 layers of this. Wait a good ten minutes in between each layer. NOTE: your strokes should be in the same direction (horizontally or vertically) as the mod podge will dry clear but will give a bit of a lined texture. However, you could switch it up in between each layer to create a hatch mark look.

-Once all of your coasters are dry, take them to a well ventilated area and place them on scrap newspaper. Use the spray concealer as it directs on the can. *Mod Podge is also a sealer, but because this is specifically used for drinks that may perspire, it is just better to be safe than sorry.* Allow to dry over night, and then proudly show them off at your next dinner party!   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment