Thursday, April 5, 2012

Before You Die...

Have you ever woken up one morning, and just decided you want to make a difference? YA. And then what do you do? Oh.

I was stumbling, and came across this project via Candy Chang's Website titled "Before I Die..."

She started with the side of an abandoned house in New Orleans and completely renovated into a bucket list for the community and visitors to fill out. This project has gone viral, and is spreading world wide. What a fascinating and beautiful thing. It may not be changing the world, it may not even be tutoring kids, or feeding the poor, and you may not look at it as "art" per se, but it is Beautiful. Every thing written is photographed and once it is filled up, they wash it and start anew. There is no ceiling, no end to wishes and hopes and dreams.











Reading the wishes of others just makes you feel closer to the world. Knowing there are people out there with hopes and dreams and ideas is heart warming. It feels,.... optimistic, even though many of the ideas - when written down - seem sad.

Just some of the things people have written down: "Before I die I want to… sing for millions, see my daughter graduate, eat a salad with an alienstraddle the International Date Line, see the leaves change many times, be someone’s cavalry, cook a souffle, hold her one more time, help numerous children, see what I’m like as an old man, tell my mother I love her, make peace with Ohio, abandon all insecurities, be completely myself… " (source)

Candy had an idea, and she went and did it. I am inspired by her. It was originally an idea she had for a thesis project after a loved one died, and it was noticed by major media players like Oprah and featured in her magazine and on NBC's Rock Center w/ Brian Williams.  And through a website, she makes it easy for you to join in. Check it out here: http://beforeidie.cc/

I'm going to NOLA in a couple weeks, and you better believe I am tracking this down!

What would your answer be?

Filling-in-the-blank,

DML

No comments:

Post a Comment