Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Making color frosted mason jars!

It is pretty easy. I read about it somewhere online, but can't remember where in order to credit them.

This is all you need to get started:


- A mason jar (mine happens to be a preggo spaghetti sauce jar)
- Food Dye
- Elmers Glue - clear drying (I didn't have it, so I used Mod Podge)
- A cup to mix the glue and dye
- A sponge brush

First you make sure your mason jar is clean and dry. Then you mix whatever color you want into some glue. Doesn't really matter how much. I put enough glue to cover the bottom of the cup, and then added two drops of blue dye and one drop of green and made a pretty teal/aqua color.


Then you just paint the jar! I used up and down stokes in order to not have too many odd streaks.


Don't fret. There WILL be streaks. I allowed it to dry and then applied a second coat in order to cover any streaks.


As it dries it looks more and more frosted, as opposed to painted. Here is the final product:


I think that maybe if I had done 1 more coat it would look better. I can still see some streaks. Or maybe elmers glue would have looked better than the mod podge.  Who knows. Ya live and ya learn!

Go ahead and try your own version!

No comments:

Post a Comment